Wednesday, July 8, 2015


My Son Roger’s First Day of Work
July 8, 2015
 

     My oldest son, Roger, graduated in May of this year.  He has never had a job, because I felt like until he was eighteen and graduated from high school he was my responsibility to take care of.  This is the way I was raised, I was never allowed to have a job during school.  School work always came first. Keeping your grades up and having that interaction with school is what is important, this is what I was taught.

     Roger took Marine Tech at the vocational school half day for his Junior and Senior year in high school.  Upon graduating he received a technical certificate for Marine Technology.  He is certified in many categories from small engine repair to boat engine repairs and work shop. 

     He is working on getting his driver’s license, it is basically my fault he doesn’t have one yet.  When we moved here from Indiana he was only fifteen and missed taking the driver’s education course there.  And the school he attended here in Missouri didn’t offer the course.  I was so nervous about his driving here.  It took me months before driving here, the sites of no guard rails, single lane roads, and not a reflector one on the highways scared me to have him driving.  Although I realized I couldn’t keep him from driving forever.  We bought him a car and he is practicing with his permit.

     Roger wanted to get a job to help on insurance and expenses, but with no license he wanted to get a close to home job so his father and I could pick him up and take him.  So he decided to go to McDonalds.  This wouldn’t have been my first choice for him, since he has a degree in a technical field, but I commend him for trying to start his own life off and get a job.  He is super excited, and who knows maybe he will be manager someday. 

      He says this is only temporary, but whatever his path in life leads him, I will be a proud parent and support his decisions.  Plus, his little brother and sister are so happy that he has “the hook-up” to happy meal toys.

 

373 Words

10 minutes

 

No comments:

Post a Comment