Saturday, July 18, 2015


Cooking

July 18, 2015

 

I just love to cook.  This started at a very young age, my grandmother taught me basically everything.  I can remember when I was about five years old she would let me stand on a chair and watch her cook.  She would let me break the eggs, even though sometimes she would have to fish out the shells, she never complained and always helped me learn.  I remember helping her make noodles.  She would let me roll them out on the table with the old time rolling pin, and then she would use a pizza cutter to cut the noodles into strips.  She taught me how to make pies.  I can fluet a pie crust better than anyone I know thanks to grandma Olive.  I remember at Thanksgiving and Christmas she would always let me help prepare the meals.  She would always make homemade dressing and let me cut up the onions and celery and cube the bread.  She wouldn’t buy bread crumbs, we would start saving bread heals in the summer and putting in the freezer for dressing.  I would love to help make meatloaf, she would let me put my little hands in there like a mixer.  I love that my grandma helped teach me all she has, I have became a great cook in my opinion.  I love to experiment and make up my own dishes, only a few have been not good, edible, but not really good.  My husband always laughs when he asks what’s for dinner and I tell him, “Oh I just made this up tonight”, but he usually eats it with a smile.  My grandma taught me how to be a great baker as well.  I started cooking all the meals at home when I was a teenager, my grandpa would always tell my grandma let Angel cook tonight.  She would say “I’ve taught you better than myself”.  I now try and do the same thing with my daughter, she loves to help in the kitchen.  I let her break the eggs, and I too now pull out the shells, she measures and dumps in the bowls.  If I could get her to start cleaning up the messes she makes I would have it made.  Another tradition that I am instilling into my children.  Someday my future son in law will thank me.

 

394 Words

10 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment