Saturday, June 27, 2015




The Cardinal

 

     Many people think that the red cardinal symbolizes a person in your life that has passed on and has came to visit you.  I go out onto my deck every morning to look at the view, and every morning there is a beautiful red cardinal perched on my fence row.

     I like to think of it as my grandfather coming to tell me good morning, I know to some of you that sounds crazy.  But I always say “Good morning, Grandad” and the bird looks at me then flys away.  This has happened everyday for over a month now.  It gives me a reason to think about whats beyond.

     My grandfather was a very special man, my grandmother and him had six children of their own, four girls, and two boys.  All stair stepped in age.  My mother had me a an early age for thirty-eight years ago, at age eighteen.  My grandparents raised me pretty much from infancy, my mother, whom I love dearly just wasn’t ready for the responsibility of a child at the time.

     My grandfather, loved me like I was one of his own daughters.  In fact, he is the one who named me.  My mom struggled with many names, but when my grandfather came into the room after I was born, he said “Look at that beautiful little Angel”, thus how I got the name Angel. 

     My grandfather taught me many things in life, how to ride a bike, how to “properly” mow the grass, how to garden, how to drive a car, and how to be the person I am today.  I never knew my real father, but I was blessed to have such a great man be my “bonus” dad.  I always called him Grandad, and when he died, I was devastated.  Seeing this little bird everyday, in some way makes me feel a peace that he is still with me.

 

320 Words

10 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment