Tuesday, June 30, 2015


Be Greatful for What You Have

 

Sometimes I feel like I have to drag myself to work, don’t get me wrong, I love my job.  It’s just having to leave the comfort of my warm bed or the fact of having to leave my children and husband for the day.

But It’s always worth it when I get there.  Someday’s my residents are very demanding, but at their age let them be demanding.  I know one thing if I ever have to go to a nursing home I do not want to be gotten up at 4:30 a.m., woken up every two hours to be checked on, or by no means have my pills crushed. 

When you look at their lives and look at your own, you realize that you don’t have it so bad after all.  These people were once businessmen and women, pillars of the community, doctors, lawyers, politicians, educators, nurses, contractors, and the list goes on.  I have met many interesting men and women at my job.  Some cannot fully tell you the details of their life, which is heartbreaking.  To live such miraculous lives and not have the recollection of such events.  But some do have a wonderful story to still tell.

I try to make it a point to have a personal connection with each and every one of my residents daily.  It’s nice to know that on my days off, and when I return, they ask how was your weekend “Angel”.  Many of them do not have any family or friends that come and visit them, so the staff is their families.  I consider each of them my family members.  I spend more time with them than my own family in some weeks.

We have a motto at our work it is “We have dedicated our lives, to make theirs better” and I fully stand by this motto.  When the day is over and I get to go clock out for the day and go home to my family, these men and women remain.  Only to see the changing of shift faces.  When you see these people and what they no longer have or have access too, rather it be personal items, family, or just a memory that cannot quite remember, It makes you realize that you need to be greatful for what you have in your own life.

 

395 Words

10 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment